Saturday 6 December 2008

Guns and Christmas Roses in Rochester

http://www.geckoandfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/guns_christmas_creative_gifts_ads_advertisement.jpg
No being a Christian I find Christmas a bit uncomfortable at times (I prefer my religion a bit more pagan / druidic). Christmas is full of hypocrisy, but then so am I. I usually rationalise my approach to Christmas as a festival celebrating the Winter Solstice (which just happens to be my birthday too - I was born a few minutes into the 22nd Dec), that said I adore the Dickensian / Victoriana Christmas.

Kicking off Christmas for me is the Dickens Christmas in Rochester, the highlight of which is the carols outside the cathedral / castle. I have to ignore the fact that the Bishop of Rochester is not a nice chap (unlike one fairly local druid, the Archbishop of Canterbury) and the fact the the brass band that is playing is the BAE Systems band, so that I can enjoy the fake snow machine and people dressed as Victorians.

It is becoming difficult though. I resisted the urge to sing 'Hark the sniper fire rings' but I don't know if I want to go back again. The hypocrisy of having a band from the 4th largest arms manufacturer in the world playing carols that call for 'peace on earth' is simply disgusting. You don't get peace through making arms.

As George Carlin said: "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".

No comments: