Tuesday 26 May 2009

Bizarre Lib Dem leaflet

While being very used to the LibDem tactic of claiming that only they can beat the Tories, this latest leaflet from Maidstone Lib Dems is just plain bizarre.

The leaflet refers to the councillors on Maidstone Borough Council and claims that "only the Lib Dems can beat the Conservatives here".

I hope they have realised that neither election next week is for Maidstone Borough Council...

They also reference the parliamentary constituency, again quite bizarrely. I'm sure the borough councillors in Maidstone and the Weald are of a different make up from the MBC area.

It's all extremely misleading and sad. Mind you I think we have Lib Dem tactic lite compared to other places in the UK!

For the record, the last poll that I saw had the Greens ahead of the Lib Dems in the South East by 4 points and of course we are electable, Maidstone has had a Green MEP for the past 10 years.

4 comments:

GreenCurmudgeon said...

Lib Dem literature seems to be particularly low quality this year, including in my neck of the woods. It's like they're advertising a car boot sale rather than a political party. Someone should tell them this isn't the way to inspire confidence or votes...or maybe not.

Anonymous said...

they're getting my vote!

TMO said...

Comments have been made about *all* the election material I've received here in Guildford. Have you pointed put the errors to the Lib Dems locally or do you just like to make the points here on your blog which they may not read?

Strangely from the European point of view I've received very little literature so I have no information from most of the parties that are standing in my area, 1 leaflet from the Greens, 2 from the Conservatives, 1 from UKIP and about 3 from the Lib Dems...

SheffieldResident said...

Exactly the same here in Sheffield - Lib Dem leaflet trying to mislead by showing the election as a two-party race, when it's not the case as it's a PR vote. I emailed my local Lib Dem MEP to complain and her office today said she had "has nothing to do with the design or distribution of these leaflets". (!!) If you do a Google Search there are more blog posts on the subject - have posted similarly on them too. Shame, I will now be voting Green.