Monday 14 February 2011

Ecology without Nature: End of modernity

Derek posted a fairly distressing link depicting a sky burial that led me to Ecology without Nature. Have been fairly hooked on the flow of philosophy from it ever since.

Take a look at We Have Now Exited Modernity where Tim Morton talks of:
    1) Imperialism of the West, starting roughly 1800 (direct control of countries by European powers) 
    2) Correlationism, idealism and attendant nationalistic ideologies (“we” are the true bearers of the burden of history, the other is primitive or stupid or corrupt and lacks history and thus must be correlated to our way of seeing things, but forever “unavailable,” exoticized / or the inverse version in which the other is outside of history and that's a good thing, or the other is radically unknowable and we are stuck in some kind of Eurocentrism or whatever) 
    3) Modernity with attendant industrial capitalism giving rise to ecological emergency
Plenty of challenging stuff on the site, most of which is beyond me (like OOO or Object Oriented Ontology - I'm not sure I know what it is, something based on Heidegger who I studied as part of my masters and stiull don't get) but it is worthy of a read.

3 comments:

Timothy Morton said...

I checked my stats and saw that your page had directed some people to see the blog, so I was keen to write to you and say thanks so much and I'm glad you're finding it interesting. I love Samuel Palmer, the artist, who lived in Shoreham, Kent. I have a postcard of one of his pieces on my office door...

Timothy Morton said...

Oh, I just did the post, here.

Stuart Jeffery said...

Thanks, I must say that much of your writing goes over my head as this is not my specialty...

The Samuel Palmer picture is fabulous - I hadn't come across his work before - but I'm a big Balke fan and also love everything Kent so will investigate.